Air conditioners are considered as a real essential appliance in harsh weather. It might surprise you with the hefty electricity cost. But with the best energy-efficient air conditioner you can control and enjoy your home temperature without costing an unexpected bill.
Air conditioner brands have focused and evolved on practical life solutions. Simply put, the energy-efficient air conditioner is the living example to sit between the sweet spot of power and cost.
So, making energy efficiency the top priority, I have delved and come up with 7 air conditioners to offer a permanent solution to your cooling needs. Apart from the features, I also considered what the customers said regarding their electricity bill.
Table of Contents
- How to Determine an Air Conditioner's Efficiency:
- Top 7 Best Energy Efficient Air Conditioner
- 1. Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
- 2. LG Window Air Conditioner with Remote Control
- 3. MIDEA EasyCool Window Air Conditioner
- 4. Frigidaire FFRE0833S1 Window Mounted Mini Air Conditioner
- 5. HOmeLabs 5000 BTU Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- 6. Pioneer Air Conditioner Wall Mount
- 7. Senville Mini Split Air Conditioner
- How I Narrowed Down the Choices?
- Features to Look for When Choosing an Air Conditioner
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Verdict
How to Determine an Air Conditioner's Efficiency:
The best way to determine the efficiency of the air conditioner is by checking the SEER rating.
Well, now you may ask yourself what the heck is this SEER?
How are you going to determine SEER on your own?
How to find out your air conditioner's efficiency based on SEER?
In that case, allow me to explain:
- Check SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio)
Understanding the term isn't quite difficult. SEER meaning is Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio You can figure it out yourself.
The SEER rating is usually determined with the indoor cooling ability of an AC unit divided by the used amount of watts (energy) per hour to maintain the temperature you have set.
The SEER rating ranges from score 10 and goes all the way up to 20 or even more. The thing is that the more the score, the better energy-saving will occur, and the electricity will get lesser.
Here, the indoor temperature stays the same while these cycles are running. What varies is the outdoor temperature from lower temperature to higher so that the air conditioner can provide real results.
- What SEER Does
Keep in mind about the SEER rating that it doesn't mean that your AC will constantly perform at this rate.
SEER ensures a better energy-saving, energy-efficiency performance at your door.
When you're about to compare the score with other brands, make sure the other brands also show the SEER rating. Then it'll be a head-to-head comparison and beneficial to find out the right AC for you.
Comparison Table of Best Energy Efficient Air Conditioner
Before you jump to the reviews, let's give you a sneaky comparison of the products.
Top 7 Best Energy Efficient Air Conditioner
Considering the top-rated expert's view and pure buyer's opinion, I came up with these solid picks. Also, I looked through the brand values too. So, you can be assured of not barking up the wrong tree.
1. Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E Window-Mounted Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
If you believe in tiny but compact devices, especially in terms of air conditioners, the Window-Mounted Air Conditioner from Frigidaire will be at the top. It'll save you from scathing heat and jungle-type humidity.
- This compact air conditioner requires 5,000 BTUs and an electrical outlet of 115V to cool down a room.
- It covers more than a room of 150 sq ft while dehumidifying more than 1.1 pints per/hour.
- Dehumidification works along with the two fan speeds and two cooling speeds, thanks to the mechanical rotary functions.
- You can simply put the fan in high and low speed to your accordance. It begins slowly at first, then hustles up to higher settings.
- Two-way air direction feature that grants you to lead the air as you want it.
- It weighs around 41 pounds – not too heavy to carry. You can set it up by yourself with the window mounting kit that ships with the package.
- Filters pull out pernicious bacteria so that you can breathe and feel clean air while consuming 450 watts at the highest setting.
- It's as cool as a cucumber – not a pinch of noise.
2. LG Window Air Conditioner with Remote Control
The best energy-saving air conditioner has to offer you the utmost comfort to your living style while removing each humidity particle. This unit from LG is quite promising at meeting such needs.
- Includes a remote device to control remotely, even from your bed or couch, and that's undoubtedly a relief to enjoy.
- Controllable 3 fan speeds, 3 cooling speeds effortlessly with the remote, leading to ultimate customization, and the remote even connects across rooms.
- It doesn't go above 52dB in low mode, or probably as low as possible.
Runs on 6,000 BTU, observing 115V, to cool down a room of 260 sq feet or more than that.
- You can keep the fan running for 24 hours, either on or off, via timer settings.
- Automatically restarts when the power returns.
- It consumes 561 watts of power at maximum.
- Installation is a piece of cake if you go through the instruction manual correctly.
- Don't leave out the air conditioner in the cold; otherwise, you'll notice internal failure due to lack of maintenance.
- And, if you love to get your room cooled as quickly as a flash, you can look at the higher versions of this model, including 12,000 BTU, 18,000BTU, and 24,500 BTU.
3. MIDEA EasyCool Window Air Conditioner
While you are thinking of cutting corners and reaching out to a lucrative deal of air conditioners, you might miss out on the high-end features. But the Media EasyCool checks all the boxes of high-end features without breaking your bank – a win-win deal.
- A total of 8,000 British Thermal Unit acts to provide faster, cleaner, and strong cooling air up to rooms of 350 sq ft. Now that's a solid deal for your compartment, office, or living room.
- Within 10-15 minutes of starting, the device cools down a room.
- Requires 110 volts to consume and run at 660 watts of power.
- A uniquely designed remote comes packed in the box to access the AC from multiple rooms.
- An innovative LCD display makes controlling more accessible – strike while the iron is hot if you notice any function blundered.
- The manufacturer included a proper instruction manual and required a screwdriver to get installed.
- Sleep mode is to ensure a pleasant temperature with breezing noise for a sound sleep.
- The 24-hour timer schedules a timer to run or shuts it automatically when you come and leave home.
- Opts for a 3-in-1 technology: combining dehumidification, fan-only mode, and air conditioning to improve comfort.
4. Frigidaire FFRE0833S1 Window Mounted Mini Air Conditioner
The earlier air conditioner I reviewed from Frigidaire features 5,000 BTU. If you love the brand and want more of it or an advanced model, then the Frigidaire FFRE0833S1 model can be your ideal shot.
- The top-most reason to be the best energy-efficient air conditioner is the EER certification by Energy Star. It scores 12 on EER grade, which stands for outstanding energy saving.
- It features 8,000 BTU to cool the room in the blink of an eye.
- It cools down more than 350 sq ft of a room, office, or even an apartment within 10 to 15 minutes.
- While consuming 665 watts of power, the air conditioner dehumidifies more than 1.7 pints per hour.
- Comes in 18.5 x 17.5 x 13.4 inches size.
- It packs an air ionizer to remove impurities, pollen, and dust from the air. Allows you to breathe fully fresh, dust-free air – a solid choice against allergies.
- A remote device is there to assist you in controlling the AC remotely. With that, you can operate the AC from different rooms seamlessly.
- It runs silently like a dead doom – not a pinch of noise will bell your ear.
5. HOmeLabs 5000 BTU Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
If you don't wish to break your bank to skip the summer, this Air Conditioner from HOmeLabs can be an excellent addition for the summer that seats between the sweet spot of cost and energy efficiency.
- It covers more than 150 square feet of your room, bedroom, living room, small apartment, or any dorm rooms.
- Requires 115V electrical source to run at 5,000 BTU.
Features with a reusable filter that can be cleaned with dish soap and warm water.
- It gets power through a 6ft long power cord.
- 7 temperature functions for cooling down the room with total flexibility.
- 2-way control for directing air according to your needs.
- Adjustable low, and high-speed settings for cooling a room instantly or slowly.
- It takes less than 15 minutes to alleviate the hot temperature entirely.
- The unit comes with a complete installation setup kit, including side panel leaf covers, window seal foam, a support bracket, and a user manual.
6. Pioneer Air Conditioner Wall Mount
Have you been in two minds about getting the best energy-efficient air conditioner? If you are after saving money and electricity thoroughly the whole year, you'd love to check this Pioneer Air Conditioner – a combination of both inverter and heat pump.
- Features a 19 SEER rating, and the higher the rating on SEER, the lower energy it consumes – that goes for cooling.
- For heating, this piece scores 10 on HSPF bars, which also indicates energy efficiency.
- It runs on 12,000 BTUs to cool down or heat-up a room while adopting various modes and fan speeds in no time.
- The brand includes an advanced wireless remote controller with a built-in LCD display inside the package to control the AC across rooms seamlessly.
- It weighs around 19 pounds – surely on the lighter side.
- Ships with all the ingredients, including 16-inch copper tubing, putty, drain line extension, interconnecting signal wiring, wrapping tape, wall sleeve cap, and liner, etc., for a breeze installation.
- Timer function to run or shut down automatically based on a specific time. Plus, a night mode is there to sense the temperature, process automatically according to your body temperature.
- Cleanable permanent filters to keep the fan running smoothly.
And the noise? No, not in a long way.
7. Senville Mini Split Air Conditioner
Whether you long for heat or cool temperature, getting both in an air conditioner is like hitting the jackpot. And that's what Senville is all about. Plus, the mini-split is now getting popular among AC users to enjoy both temperatures.
- It weighs 73.85 pounds, which is pretty much on the bulkier side – it might need an extra pair of hands to assemble it.
- Ships 16ft assembling kit in the package.
- Covers room, apartment, bedroom, living room, or any other place of 650 square feet.
- With 12,000 BTU, the Sena -12HF/Z spreads air like wildfire just right off the bat.
- Thanks to whisper technology, it doesn't create any irritating noise even when it's on full thrust.
- The indoor unit ranges from 24 to 43db for the indoor unit, and 56dB goes for the outdoor one.
- Features DC Inverter Technology that ensures ultra-smooth performance and high efficiency.
- It hits multiple score bars of 22.5 SEER, 12.5 EER, and 12 HSPF ratings to save both money and the environment – literally, the best of both worlds.
- Reliable different modes come with heat pump, dehumidifier, fan-only, air conditioner – to take the usage to the next level.
- Automatically switches from heating to cooling, or vice versa considering the temperature.
- It comes certified by Energy Star, AHRI, and ETL Intertek.
Controllable via Wi-Fi Smart Control or the remote control – both will add coziness.
How I Narrowed Down the Choices?
Long story short, I read between the line of expert's reviews and buyers' opinions, and observed the benefits that they got from the products. But on top of that, I considered faster cooling performance, build quality, user-friendly experience, and especially the cost. Measuring these facts, I picked the choices. I hope you liked them.
Features to Look for When Choosing an Air Conditioner
When you are out there attempting to buy an air conditioner for your home, ensure that you have the best energy-efficient air conditioner, there are some facts you need to keep in mind.
1. Right Size AC for Your Space
You need to pick one that is compatible with space where you will be using the air conditioner. Why do you need to consider the size?
- If the unit is too large, it will cool down the air, but it will also leave it clammy and damp.
- And if it is not large enough, smaller, the unit will have to work overtime to keep the set temperature, giving you a larger amount to pay as an energy bill.
That is why you need to consider the size factor; otherwise, you can let your money go in vain – totally busted.
Important note: While choosing an AC, you can consider measuring a few inches extra. It's because when you set it up, the extra few inches will let your hand reach the AC easily.
2. Programmable Temperature Settings
There is a digital display to set a precise temperature in almost every AC unit. Even the basic window units have them. With this, you can schedule your AC to turn on or off at a specific time. You can use this feature when you will be out of your home and come back.
It makes the whole AC service a lot more flexible and easy to use. Also, it saves you quite a lot of money in the long run.
3. Energy Saving Setting
An energy-saving setting is another mythical feature you will surely want to have in your AC unit. This energy-saving feature means –
- The unit will automatically turn off both the compressor and the fan when your room will reach the temperature you have set or completely cooled down.
- It again starts working after the temperature increases.
This is how the energy-saving setting does its duty and thus doesn't use any extra energy. With this feature, you will have a more efficient service, which is also the reason for buying it.
4. High EER and SEER Ratings
EER means Energy Efficiency Rating, and SEER means Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating. These two ratings are to measure a particular Air Conditioner units' energy efficiency in BTUs.
The higher these ratings are, the better. Because the higher rating indicates better energy efficiency, which means your unit can do its duty without consuming extra energy.
These also indicate a unit's effectiveness. Look for an AC unit with a higher EER and SEER rating. You will find these ratings for both central and room air conditioners.
5. Energy Star Certification
Search for the blue sign that initially shows Energy Star Certification before deciding on an air conditioner. This certification will speak to you that this buddy is one step ahead of other mates to rule higher efficiency.
Energy star certification means lower utility bills, which can eventually save your pennies. Don't you want that? It's because the item consumes lower energy or power – whatever you call it.
As the device doesn't eat a lot of energy, it won't generate many gas emissions, which stops 35% less. And guess what? You'll participate in the frontier of heroes who put a fight against diverse climate change.
Regarding that, you might encounter a question, "what's the difference between Energy Star qualified vs. certified?" Passing all the energy efficiency requirements stands for Energy Star certified. Whereas meeting all the needs means energy star qualified. But you should always look for certified ones.
6. Wi-Fi-Enabled AC
Do you crave ultra-luxury and comfort? Or do you wish to have a smart home? If you have advanced devices like Google Assistant, Google Home, or even Alexa, you'll surely love the Wi-Fi-enabled air conditioner. It'll make your life simpler.
Wi-Fi-enabled air conditioners run on Wi-Fi internet, and you can do it through your phone. And the smart devices I mentioned earlier you can control via them just with your words.
When you check the variations, you can find multiple variations of AC models, such as portable, split unit, window, ductless mini, etc. They are nicely adjustable anywhere you prefer, and energy-saving capabilities are top-notch, which allows you to fine-tune the conduct.
7. Ease of Operation
So, what does it mean? Well, I'd say ease of operation meaning is how you can control the air conditioner fully in-and-out according to your choice.
The friendly user-ability counts on multiple things –
- Fan speeds
- Cooling speeds
- Auto mode
- Automatic shifting
- Timer setting
If I pin down one by one, you'll feel like it's a hard nut to crack, but it isn't actually. While buying an air conditioner, you've to inspect if this piece will serve you all the desired features upside-down.
Considering fan and cooling speeds, you've to check whether the air conditioner features speed settings or not. Otherwise, you might be frozen to death – no one knows. Furthermore, automatic shifting requires the AC to serve you both cooling and heating temperatures when you use the appliance.
Nevertheless, you wouldn't want an AC that runs 24/7 – all day long. In that case, you can look for auto mode and timer settings to fix a running time, which will eventually cut down the bills.
Well, you've to consider the above features when you call for complete control over the device.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does EER actually stand for?
EER, aka Energy Efficiency Ratio, is a scale to measure a room Air conditioner's efficiency. This EER expresses the cooling capacity ratio in British Thermal Unit (BTU) to the power input in watts. The efficiency is measured with how high the EER rating is; the higher, the better your AC is.
2. What are good SEER ratings?
An air conditioner with a SEER rating of 14 to 16 is handsome. A higher SEER rating means better energy efficiency. The minimum SEER rating for any AC is 13. Nowadays, almost every Air conditioners' SEER rating ranges from 14 to keep 21. So, anything between this range is good.
3. What are the most energy efficient air conditioners?
One of the best energy-saving air conditioners in the market is Lennox XC25 which has a SEER rating of 26. According to the SEER rating, the best and most energy-efficient air conditioners are the ductless mini-split systems because they have a SEER rating of 38.
In short, you can choose one with the highest SEER rating that comes within your budget. The higher SEER rating holder ones are the more high-end ones.
4. What is the most energy-efficient temperature for air conditioning?
The 78 degrees Fahrenheit reading in your thermostat is the possible energy-efficient setting for your air conditioner during summer. If you reduce the temperature to a lower state, such as 72 degrees, it could increase your cooling cost up to 47 percent.
5. How to reduce energy cost when using a window air conditioner?
You can take some measures to reduce the energy cost such as –
- Seal all the leaks in the room.
- Use the AC with a cut-off temperature.
- You can go on with a timer.
- Keep the air filter unclogged, etc.
I know you've longed for this one, and everything boils down to this one pitch.
So, if you ask me which one I would go for, I'd definitely put my money on the Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E Air Conditioner. It covers a nice amount of area, faster cooling system, and removes all ferocious bacteria from the air.
Not to forget, this cool item hits an 11.1 score on Energy Efficiency Ratio, which leads to superior energy-saving functionality and saves the environment as well.
An air conditioner tends to relieve us from the multiple heatwaves in the summer. But have you ever gone through the numbers of bills you have to pay or the damages it does to the environment? I know it's disastrous.
Well, having the best energy-efficient air conditioner will neither break your bank nor bedevil the climate. Anyways, before heading to a new AC, you should check out its performance level, energy-saving functionalities, speed control settings, and most importantly, your wallet.
Break a leg!