Ventless air conditioners are quickly gaining popularity because of their undeniable convenience. It doesn't require a complicated setup, so you can use it in any room as long as there's a power source available. But given all the options out there, the real challenge is looking for the best ventless air conditioner for your home.
Lucky for you, we have gathered and reviewed ten of the best ventless air conditioners in the market. Aside from our honest reviews, this article will also discuss important factors that you should consider before buying one. After reading through this article, you'll be armed with all the information you need to make a smart and practical choice.
Table of Contents
- How Do Ventless Air Conditioners Work?
- What is a Ventless Air Conditioner?
- When is a Ventless Air Conditioner a Good Option?
- 10 Best Ventless Air Conditioner
- 1. Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner
- 2. SereneLife SLPAC12.5 Portable Air Conditioner
- 3. Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler
- 4. Whynter ARC-14S Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
- 5. LG LP0817WSR White Portable Air Conditioner
- 6. MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
- 7. Luma Comfort EC220W High Power 1650 CFM Evaporative Cooler
- 8. Honeywell Fan & Humidifier with Detachable Tank
- 9. Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler
- 10. Honeywell 525CFM Indoor Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler
- What To Look For While Buying A Ventless Portable Air Conditioner
- Benefits of Having a Ventless Air Conditioner
- The Verdict:
- Wrap Up
How Do Ventless Air Conditioners Work?
To most homeowners, ventless air conditioners are a mystery. After all, we’ve come to know air conditioning units as complicated machines that cool the indoors while keeping all the hot air out.
In contrast, a ventless air conditioner draws water from its internal reservoir. The water is then cooled through a cooling pad, which is then fanned across the room. As a result, ventless air conditioners keep the air at ideal temperatures while also increasing the room’s humidity levels. This is why these portable devices make the best cooling systems for hot and dry areas.
What is a Ventless Air Conditioner?
A ventless air conditioner, otherwise known as a portable air conditioner, is a household appliance that serves to lower temperatures in a given room without being connected to vents. They are ventless because they do not force the hot air out, so it cools the room down through its unique method.
Unlike traditional air conditioners, these portable cooling systems have a built-in water reservoir where they pump out water that's used for creating a colder room. The water is fanned into the room like a mist, which effectively cools the warm air.
When is a Ventless Air Conditioner a Good Option?
As discussed, a ventless air conditioner works by misting cool droplets into the air to cool down a room’s temperature. Since it sprays mist in the process, it also works to increase the room’s humidity levels.
Thus, a ventless air conditioner is a good option if you live in a place that's dry, hot, and not humid - if not the best option. Also, these portable alternatives are more affordable, easier to install, and have low energy consumption. This makes it ideal for families looking for a budget-friendly alternative.
Quick Summary: Comparison Table of Best Ventless Air Conditioner In 2020
Before we dig deep into our reviews, here is a comparative chart of all their important features. This will give you a decent overview of each contender for the best portable ventless air conditioner.
Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner
Up to 150 square feet
Yes; up to 24 hours
SereneLife SLPAC12.5 Portable Air Conditioner
Up to 450 square feet
Yes; up to 24 hours
Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler
Up to 950 square feet
Whynter ARC-14S Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
Up to 500 square feet
Yes; up to 24 hours
LG LP0817WSR White Portable Air Conditioner
Up to 200 square feet
Yes; up to 24 hours
MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
Up to 150 square feet
Yes, up to 24 hours
Luma Comfort EC220W High Power 1650 CFM Evaporative Cooler
Up to 650 square feet
Honeywell Fan & Humidifier with Detachable Tank
Up to 175 square feet
Yes; up to 7.5 hours
Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler
Up to 250 square feet
Honeywell 525 CFM Indoor Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler
Up to 320 square feet
Yes; up to 7.5 hours
10 Best Ventless Air Conditioner
Now that you’ve seen the quick summary, we’re sure that you’re more excited to know more about these ventless air conditioners. So here they are - our top 10 picks for the best ventless air conditioner in the market.
1. Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner
The Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner is at the top of our list with its 5,000 BTU that can cool down a room of up to 150 square feet.
- It offers different fan speed options, so you can use it in a setting that's most comfortable for you.
- The Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner can be used as a cooler, a dehumidifier, and a fan for small indoor areas.
- It comes with a washable filter that helps keep dust and other airborne debris away from the room. This filter can be easily washed at least twice a month - making it low-maintenance.
- It has a sleep mode that allows the unit to run at only 51 decibels.
The Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner comes with a window kit that makes installation hassle-free.
- It has a wattage of only 950 watts, making it a low-consumption appliance. Your wallet will surely thank you in the long run.
2. SereneLife SLPAC12.5 Portable Air Conditioner
With an impressive 12,000-BTU coupled with a 360 CFM airflow, the SereneLife SLPAC12.5 Portable Air Conditioner is ideal for medium-sized rooms of up to 450 square feet.
- This contender for the best portable ventless air conditioner offers a user-friendly design that can be used by almost anyone. Even the remote control comes with limited buttons, so there is no need for any complicated setup before you can use it.
- It comes with a built-in dehumidifier, so you’re assured that it can help you achieve desired humidity levels in your home. This also helps keep allergens and mildew away.
- The SereneLife SLPAC12.5 Portable Air Conditioner has a low-noise motor that only operates at 56 decibels. This is similar to the sound an average dishwasher makes, so you know that it’s not bothersome at all.
- It is lightweight and comes with a set of four wheels for convenient portability.
3. Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler
The powerful Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler is the best portable ventless air conditioner for large spaces, with its powerful 3100 CFM airflow.
- The powerful Hessaire MC37M can cool spaces of up to 950 square feet.
It comes with 3-sided cooling pads to ensure fast, efficient, and eco-friendly air cooling.
- The Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler is built with three dials that allow the user to easily adjust the fan speed, oscillation, and pump.
It has a large 10.3-gallon tank and an independent hose hookup to ensure a continuous operation.
- It operates at only 59 decibels. While this is not the quietest of these ventless air conditioners, this is an impressive noise level considering its bulky size.
- It comes with a set of wheels to ensure mobility. Also, two wheels can be locked to keep it from moving in place.
4. Whynter ARC-14S Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
The Whynter ARC-14S Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner boasts an unmatched 14,000 BTU cooling power, paving the way for fast and reliable cooling action.
- This ventless air conditioner comes with a 253 CFM airflow that’s ideal for spaces of up to 500 square feet.
- It comes with a carbon air filter and a washable pre-filter, so you know that you’re breathing safe and clean air. The carbon air filter also gets rid of odor, making your home smelling great at all times.
- The Whynter ARC-14S Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner can be used for room cooling, heating, dehumidifying, or as a fan. This ensures an all-around use throughout the year.
- It operates at only 56 decibels. This makes it ideal for bedrooms.
- It uses the CFC-free Green R-32 refrigerant for eco-friendly cooling.
5. LG LP0817WSR White Portable Air Conditioner
The LG LP0817WSR White Portable Air Conditioner has a cooling power of up to 8,000 BTU, which is powerful enough to efficiently cool down a 200-square-feet room.
- This unit already comes with a complete installation, so there’s no need to buy separate items to get it up and running.
- It is built with an oscillating feature that helps make sure that the cool air is properly dispersed throughout the room.
- The convenient Auto-Evaporation system reduces the need for frequent refills. Thus, you can use it longer without being bothered for another refill - so you can focus on bigger tasks at hand.
- It comes with a sleek, clean, and minimalist design that instantly adds a touch of style to any room.
- The LG LP0817WSR White Portable Air Conditioner comes with a set of wheels for improved portability.
6. MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
The MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner is built with the EasyCool technology that delivers an ASHRAE rating of up to 8,000 BTU.
- It uses a superior cooling system that almost instantly cools down a small room of around 150 square feet.
- The MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner can be used as an air conditioner, a dehumidifier, or as a fan only. This reflects how versatile it is, making it perfect for residential use.
- It has a washable air filter that easily absorbs dust, pet hair, and similar allergens away from the air.
- The MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner promises a user-friendly installation process that does not require additional tools. Even beginners won’t have a hard time setting it up.
7. Luma Comfort EC220W High Power 1650 CFM Evaporative Cooler
If you’re looking for a powerful ventless air conditioner for large spaces, then the Luma Comfort EC220W High Power 1650 CFM Evaporative Cooler is perfect for you. With its impressive 1650 CFM airflow, it can easily lower the temperature in areas of up to 640 square feet.
- It has an extra-large 10-2-gallon water tank that keeps you from making frequent refills. Alternatively, it can be connected to a water supply for consistent and hassle-free cooling.
- It is made from durable UV-protected ABS plastic material. This ensures superior protection regardless of indoor or outdoor use.
- Despite its bulky size, it comes with a set of four wheels for easier mobility.
- It comes with an air filter that effectively gets rid of airborne contaminants, so we’re left with allergen-free air.
- The evaporative cooling technology guarantees an eco-friendly alternative to freon and other chemicals. Thus, you know that the Luma Comfort EC220W High Power 1650 CFM Evaporative Cooler is safe for the environment.
8. Honeywell Fan & Humidifier with Detachable Tank
The Honeywell Fan & Humidifier with Detachable Tank is a low-wattage unit that makes it the best ventless air conditioner for small indoor spaces.
- This unit produces up to 300 CFM that’s ideal for small spaces of up to 175 square feet. It doesn’t take up a lot of floor space either, making it perfect for those who live in smaller homes.
- Both the unit and the remote only comes with 5 easy-to-read buttons, so operating it will be a breeze.
- It has a built-in carbon dust air filter, keeping both dust and nasty odors away.
- The Honeywell Fan & Humidifier with Detachable Tank has a Low Water Alarm feature, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting when it’s time to fill the tank again.
- It comes with a separate ice compartment for faster and more efficient cooling.
9. Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler
The Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler offers a decent 500 CFM that’s ideal for smaller rooms of around 250 square feet.
- This ventless air conditioner does not use freon to cool down the room. That assures you that it is an eco-friendly alternative to other AC units.
- The Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler boasts an energy-saving cooling system that saves up to 70% in energy consumption.
- It is built with a whisper-quiet technology that promises a peaceful operation at all times. It is so quiet that you don’t even have to worry about using it with a sleeping baby in the room.
- The Luma Comfort EC110S Portable Evaporative Cooler comes with 3 fan modes to ensure maximum comfort.
- The wide oscillation feature guarantees that the entire room will be covered by this ventless air conditioner. You don’t have to worry about the cool air being focused on one corner of the room only.
- This lightweight unit only weighs around 16 pounds. This promises superior portability, so you can take it almost anywhere with no problem.
10. Honeywell 525CFM Indoor Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler
The Honeywell 525CFM Indoor Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler offers an impressive 525 CFM airflow that’s ideal to cool down areas of up to 320 square feet. For the people who love to host outdoor parties, this is the best portable ventless air conditioner for you.
- It is made of UV-resistant material coupled with a GFCI cord, making it ideal for indoor and outdoor scenarios. This shows how versatile this ventless air conditioner is.
- The Honeywell 525 CFM Indoor Outdoor Portable Evaporative Cooler has a detachable water tank and a convenient water hose connection to ensure a continuous and worry-free water supply. You don’t have to worry about making bothersome refills from time-to-time - so you can enjoy your time and entertain your guests.
- It has a dedicated ice compartment that helps make air cooling faster.
- You can set the timer for up to 7.5 hours, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting to turn it off.
- It comes with remote control, so you don't have to get up to make control changes. And that guarantees maximum relaxation.
What To Look For While Buying A Ventless Portable Air Conditioner
After browsing through our top ten picks, we understand that some of you might still find all these options overwhelming. After all, they all have promising features, so choosing just one can still be a hard decision.
To help you narrow down your options, here are the factors you have to look for while buying a ventless portable air conditioner.
One of the first factors that you have to look into is the unit’s cooling capacity. Before buying a cooling system, you have to make sure that it can effectively lower the temperature of the room you’re planning to put it in.
To determine if a ventless air conditioner can do so, you have to know the size of the room and check that vis-a-vis the unit’s cooling capacity. Ideally, it’s cooling capacity should be higher than the size of the room. This is the only way for you to ensure that it will provide you with its best performance.
Thus, don't make the mistake of buying the most affordable air conditioner if it's cooling capacity is way below what your room needs. Similarly, buying a high-capacity ventless AC is not always the practical solution.
Bear in mind that technology is created to make our lives easier. With that said, you’ll always get the best value for the money if you buy a unit that’s designed with our convenience in mind.
By itself, ventless AC units are more convenient versions of their traditional counterparts because of the easier installation and operation. But, most of today’s units even have added features such as fan settings, multiple functionalities, remote control operation, and so much more.
As a tip, make sure to choose the unit that offers features that are most useful to you. While it may be tempting to buy a feature-packed AC, it won’t be as cost-effective if you won’t be using all those features.
Another factor you have to consider is the power consumption of your ventless AC unit. While they generally use less power than other air conditioning units, it's still best to look at how much power they consume. You'll be surprised by how other units consume up to 30% less power, yet perform as efficiently.
By doing so, you will save more money in the long run - and your bank account will truly be grateful for that.
If you prefer faster air cooling, you might want to look for a portable air conditioner with a dedicated ice compartment.
Most of these units have water tanks, but not all of them have separate ice compartments. These compartments will help cool down the water, so it will be easier to get the room temperature to drop.
The CFM airflow is another factor that you should consider. This largely helps you determine how comfortable the room will be as the air circulates around it.
CFM stands for Cubic Feet per Minute, and this is the unit of measurement used to describe the volume of air as it moves per minute. The larger the room, the higher the CFM should be to attain the best cooling results.
One of the reasons why people love ventless air conditioners is their portability. This characteristic allows you to move the unit from one room to another without any problem.
Since you do not have to mount it permanently into a wall to function, these ventless units are portable by nature. Nevertheless, some units have better portability features than others.
Powerful ventless AC units are usually bulky, but this doesn’t mean that they can’t be portable. You might want to look for wheels that will help you move them around with ease. Also, it would be ideal if the unit comes with a built-in handle, so pushing it around won’t be a problem.
You should also consider the weight of the unit. A lightweight unit is ideal if portability is one of the reasons you’re making the switch to ventless. This is especially true since you still have to fill the tank up with water - and that will cause it to weigh even more.
When it comes to shopping for cooling systems, the one thing you should always remember is to look into how it performs in the long run. Whether it's a vented or ventless unit, performance is one of your key considerations before making the big purchase.
As much as possible, look into how consistent it is when it comes to cooling down a room. It should deliver a consistent temperature despite hours of use in a day. If it won’t be able to maintain your ideal temperature, then that is a clear warning of how ineffective it will be as a cooling system.
A mistake that new owners make is that they completely disregard the size of the water tank. At first, it may seem trivial. But once you realize the convenience it provides, you’ll start looking for a bigger tank.
Remember that these ventless air conditioners use water to help cool down the room. When the reservoir completely runs out of water, you have to fill it up as soon as possible. Otherwise, the unit might start to malfunction. When you’re busy, having to make repeated refills from time to time can be quite bothersome.
Thus, we suggest looking for a ventless AC with a sizable water tank. This is especially true if you plan on using it as you sleep through the night.
Ventless Portable AC Runtime
Speaking of sleeping throughout the night, you should also consider the recommended runtime of the ventless portable AC.
On average, these units can run for about 3 to 5 hours. This is enough to keep the room cool, especially if you’re not staying in it for a long time. But if you’re planning to keep it in the bedroom, you might want to look for a unit that offers up to 8 hours of runtime.
And finally, you should also look into the noise level produced by the unit. Admittedly, these ventless AC units do not operate in complete silence.
However, some units produce quiet sounds that are not bothersome at all. We even find some of them quite soothing. So if you have to use it around someone who prefers peace and quiet, it's best to find one that operates quietly. Ideally, any unit that produces a sound that's 50 decibels or lower would be best.
Benefits of Having a Ventless Air Conditioner
At this point, you’re now armed with everything you need to make an informed decision before buying a ventless air conditioner. Nevertheless, some of you might still be having second thoughts about buying.
To help you make up your mind, here are the benefits of having a ventless air conditioner. These facts will give you a deeper appreciation of these units.
Competitive Price and Low Energy Consumption
We weren’t exaggerating when we said that ventless air conditioners are becoming extremely popular. One of the reasons why people are making the switch to these portable units is because of its competitive pricing and low energy consumption.
Without a doubt, ventless air conditioning units are about 50% less expensive than the average window-type air conditioning unit. This fact alone will already save you a lot of money. Yet, it doesn’t stop there.
These portable units are also easier to install. You don’t have to hire professionals to have it mounted onto your wall. Since there is no need to install complicated vents, that will already save you a lot on renovation costs.
And finally, ventless air conditioners consume less energy than traditional ones. On average, they use up minimal wattage that’s around 70% less than those of the average air conditioning unit. Thus, your wallet will surely thank you in the long run.
Continuous Supply of Fresh Moist Air
Another advantage of having a ventless air conditioner is that it provides you with a continuous supply of fresh, moist air.
Bear in mind that these units produce cooler air by misting the room with cold water droplets. It does not need a vent to purge the indoor hot air. As a result, the air will then contain high moisture levels.
As a result of this unique cooling process, the humidity levels in the room will also increase. During the dry summer days, this ventless unit will make the room feel more comfortable for the family.
Also, moist air is better for the skin and our lungs. If you live with people with asthma, a ventless air conditioner will keep them happy and comfortable all the time.
Ventless air conditioners are sometimes referred to as portable air conditioners for a reason. Unlike the traditional AC units, they are not mounted on the wall - and this allows you to move them around the room with ease.
Most of today’s ventless air conditioners come with wheels to help you move them around. This is quite convenient if you want to move it between rooms. Some even take up limited floor space, making it ideal for people living in small apartments.
Another reason to love ventless air conditioners is their eco-friendly design. At this point, we now know how these portable units make the air cooler - and it relies largely on allowing water to pass through a cooling pad before it is fanned out in the form of mist.
Because of this simple cooling method, you’re assured that these units do not emit any harmful chemicals into the atmosphere just to produce cool air. Every time you turn it on, you’ll have peace of mind, knowing that it won’t be contributing to the world’s air pollution.
Ventless air conditioners are known for their quiet operation. These units are not built with large and noisy motors, and this is why it operates almost noiselessly.
While you may still hear a humming noise, it’s not loud enough to be considered irritating. Also, some newer units come with impressive silencing technology that will help you sleep well throughout the night.
Easy to Install and Cheap to Maintain
We can’t stress enough that ventless air conditioners are very easy to install. It’s so simple that you simply fill the reservoir with cold water or ice, plug it in, and you’re good to go. No more need for a complicated installation that would require minor renovation of the room. These units even come with simple control panels, so operating it won’t be a problem.
They're also quite low maintenance. Traditional air conditioning units require frequent maintenance work to ensure consistent performance, but this is not the case with these portable units. Because of the simple method by which it cools down a room, it performs consistently, even with minimal maintenance work.
Ease of Use & Cleaning
These ventless units are also easy to clean. Most of these units come with filters that trap dust and similar airborne contaminants. These filters can be easily removed for cleaning or replacement, making it most convenient for users.
And since these are standalone appliances, you don’t have to take them out of the wall. Thus, opening it up for cleaning requires less effort.
Admittedly, it was hard to pick the best of the best. After long deliberation, we concluded that the Black + Decker BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner is the best ventless air conditioner in the market.
This powerful yet compact ventless unit has an impressive 8000-BTU rating, making it powerful enough to keep medium-sized rooms cool. It also has a reliable motor that promises a consistent performance for years to come.
It also has one of the most intuitive control panels we’ve tried, making it a user-friendly unit that virtually anyone can use.
Before ending this article, we also decided to answer your frequently asked questions. We hope these answers will give you a deeper understanding of ventless air conditioners.
Where Does the Heat Go on A Ventless Portable Air Conditioner?
As its name implies, a ventless portable air conditioner does not have a vent where hot air can pass through to escape. Instead, this cooling system lowers the temperature by misting the room with cool water droplets.
These tiny water droplets effectively disperse heat, so there is no more need for hot air to escape the room.
When is a ventless air conditioner a good option?
A ventless air conditioner is a great option for people who want to cool down the room while also increasing the moisture content in the air. This makes it ideal for dry areas that need improved levels of humidity.
Also, because ventless air conditioners are portable and easier to install, this makes it a good option for people who do not want to make any major renovation in their rooms. It also consumes less energy than traditional air conditioning units, so it’s a great choice for people on a budget.
How long can I expect a ventless AC unit to last?
The longevity of your ventless air conditioning unit depends on how well you take care of it. On average, it can last for 10 years or more if it receives regular and proper maintenance.
To guarantee the best performance of your unit for a long time, it’s best to consult the user manual it comes with. It will detail everything you need to keep the unit well-maintained.
Can you heat a room with an air conditioner?
In general, most air conditioning units are engineered to lower a room’s temperature. However, newer models now come with a heating function that you can activate with the push of a button. This will save you the hassle of having a separate air conditioner and heater installed.
What kind of installation does a ventless air conditioner require?
One of the reasons why ventless air conditioners are becoming increasingly popular is their easy installation.
Unlike traditional air conditioners, it does not require a complicated installation process to make sure that vents are properly in place. Much like other home appliances, these portable cooling systems can be set up by simply plugging them into a power source.
Nevertheless, it is still recommended to look into the instruction manual it came with. This will give you more detailed instructions on how to properly install a particular unit.
We know how hard it is to look for the best ventless air conditioner. After all, with all the choices available, making a decision can undoubtedly be too overwhelming.
This is why we decided to write this comprehensive article for you. The goal is to cut your search time in half, so we scoured the market to find ten of the best ventless portable air conditioners for this year.